Jump to page content

City Streets and School Corridors

“From population to technology, the changes in American society in recent decades are now rippling across college campuses in ways that will alter the substance of higher education for years to come.”—U.S. News & World Report, September 2009

The success of our nation rests on educating all of our students to their fullest potential.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The College Board convened educators, scholars, and policy experts for a candid conversation and a series of highly interactive sessions focusing on the needs of minority, immigrant and low-income students. In three concurrent sessions explored the educational experiences of young men of color, college counseling for diverse populations and the urgent need for the passage of the DREAM Act.

2:00 - 3:15 p.m.

City Streets and School Corridors

Chancellor Joel Klein and Chancellor Matthew Goldstein

New York City Schools Chancellor Joel Klein and City University of New York Chancellor Matthew Goldstein discussed their successful partnership that has tackled issues confronting urban and minority populations in our schools.

3:30 - 4:45 p.m.

Candid Conversations: Best Methods for Counselors and Teachers to Educate and Support Diverse Student Populations

Today’s students must graduate from high school ready for both college and work, inculcated with the necessary skills and attributes that will enable them to succeed in the global technological society of the 21st century. As the student population becomes more diverse, educators nationwide are discussing the importance of closing the achievement gap, increasing participation in Advanced Placement Program® and other rigorous courses, and improving college matriculation rates. Issues of race, class and gender, along with disparities in access to knowledge and the distribution of resources go to the heart of the conversation, as does the willingness and courage of professionals to ask the difficult questions that will challenge the status quo. In this session, participants candidly discussed the factors that influence these issues and brainstormed ideas and developed potential solutions to achieving educational equity.

Speaker(s): Betty J. Alford, Professor and Chair of the Department of Secondary Education and Educational Leadership, Stephen F. Austin State University, Texas; Doris B. Jackson, Principal, Wakefield High School, Virginia; Patricia Martin, Assistant Vice President, Counselor Advocacy, The College Board, District of Columbia (moderator);Patricia McDonough, Professor,  Graduate School of Education and Information Studies, University of California Los Angeles (invited); Lester P. Monts, Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, Professor of Music, University of Michigan

Integrating Minority Males into Higher Education Network

In this session, participants examined the challenges facing African American, Asian, Hispanic and Native American males as they move through the K–16 system, through a review of the latest research on learning styles and cultural barriers. At the end of the session, participants considered these students’ perception of their circumstances and the coping methods they use to survive. This will help participants provide better counseling and advice, and enable them to develop more effective teaching methods.

Speaker(s): Ronald Williams, Vice President, The College Board, District of Columbia (moderator); Edmund T. Gordon, Associate Professor Anthropology, University of Texas at Austin; LeManuel Lee Bitsóí, Assistant Professor, Georgetown University, District of Columbia; Luis Ponjuan, Assistant Professor, University of Florida; Robert Teranishi, Associate Professor of Higher Education, New York University

Undocumented Students: Chasing the Dream

A segment of our student population has been waiting years for the passage of the DREAM Act, which would provide a path for undocumented students to participate fully in society after high school graduation. Despite unprecedented support from policymakers, institutions of higher education and the business community, the fate of the DREAM Act remains unclear. In this session, participants, along with educators, scholars, policy experts and students, discussed the barriers that face undocumented students, the potential contributions these students can make if given the opportunity, and the prospects for the Federal DREAM Act in the 111th Congress. Participants also developed strategies for advocacy in support of the act.

Speaker(s): James Montoya, Vice President, Higher Education Relationship Development, The College Board (moderator) ; William Perez, Assistant Professor of Education, Claremont Graduate University, and author of We ARE Americans: Undocumented Students Pursuing the American Dream J. P., Recent Graduate, Columbia University; Allan Wernick, Professor, Baruch College, and Director, CUNY Citizenship and Immigration Project; Sam, student featured in upcoming NPR documentary, American Dreamer

Forum 2009 Celebrates Advocacy

School Counselor Advocacy

"I think as the years have progressed and we've gotten a stronger team of people, you get to where you trust people implicitly. If there are problems, then I need her to come and tell me. The best way to counteract the problem is to be proactive and shape the message."
Jon Prince, Principal
Palm Beach Gardens High School, Fla.
Featured in "Finding a Way"

The College Board's National Office for School Counselor Advocacy (NOSCA) promotes the value of school counselors as leaders in advancing school reform and student achievement. In 2008, NOSCA collaborated with the NASSP and ASCA to study the principal-counselor relationship and its impact on student achievement. The resulting two publications released in June 2009:

• "Finding A Way" - Stories and strategies of seven effective principal-counselor teams
  • "A Closer Look" - Results of a survey of more than 2,300 principals and counselors

The following Advocacy session presented the project and attendees heard from one of the participating teams: "Finding a Way: What Principals and Counselors Report about Working Together to Advance Academic Achievement in Public Schools".

Teacher Advocacy

"...teaching allows me to do a lot of things. I get to be with these kids who just really inspire me and challenge me and keep me on my toes....part of why I love my job so much is because it is such a challenge."
Cathleen Cadigan, History Teacher
Thomas Jefferson High School, TX
Featured in "A Day in the Life of Teachers"

The goals of the College Board's Teacher Advocacy Initiative is to raise awareness of the need for highly effective teachers in our schools and to support teachers in their critical work. Our most recent project seeks to help elevate the status of the teaching profession by highlighting their passion, professionalism and work ethic. "A Day in the Life of Teachers" (in press) contains profiles of eight teachers of various subjects from schools around the country who represent the heart and soul of American education.

The following Advocacy session presented this project and heard from the participating teachers: "A Day in the Life of Teachers".