- The teacher has read the most recent AP Computer Science Course Description
- The course includes all of the topics listed in the "Computer Science A" column of the Topic Outline in the AP Computer Science Course Description.
- The course teaches students to design and implement computer-based solutions to problems in a variety of application areas.
- The course teaches students to use and implement commonly used algorithms and data structures.
- The course teaches students to develop and select appropriate algorithms and data structures to solve problems.
- The course teaches students to code fluently in an object-oriented paradigm using the programming language Java. The course teaches students to use standard Java library classes from the AP Java subset delineated in Appendixes A and B of the AP Computer Science Course Description. (Note: Students who study a language other than Java in AP Computer Science must also be taught to use Java, as specified in the AP Java subset.)
- The course teaches students to read and understand a large program consisting of several classes and interacting objects, and enables students to read and understand the current AP Computer Science Case Study posted on AP Central.
- The course teaches students to identify the major hardware and software components of a computer system, their relationship to one another, and the roles of these components within the system.
- The course teaches students to recognize the ethical and social implications of computer use.