Underestimating its value, breakfast is a meal many people skip.
- (A) Underestimating its value, breakfast is a meal many people skip.
- (B) Breakfast is skipped by many people because of their underestimating its value.
- (C) Many people, underestimating the value of breakfast, and skipping it.
- (D) Many people skip breakfast because they underestimate its value. CORRECT ANSWER
- (E) A meal skipped by many people underestimating its value is breakfast.
The problem with this sentence is that the opening phrase "underestimating its value" modifies "people," not "breakfast." The order of the words in the sentence in choice (D) does not have this problem of a misplaced modifying phrase. Choice D also clarifies the causal relationship between the two clauses in the sentence. None of the other choices conveys the information presented in the sentence as effectively and directly as choice (D).