Here are some general hints for Improving Sentences.
- Read the entire sentence carefully but quickly. Note the underlined portion because that is the portion that may have to be revised.
- Remember that the portion with no underline stays the same.
- Mark choice (A) if the underlined portion seems correct. Check the other choices quickly to make sure that (A) is really the best choice.
- Think of how you would revise the underlined portion if it seems wrong. Look for your revision among the choices given.
- Replace the underlined portion of the sentence with choices (B) through (E) if you don't find your revision. Concentrate on the choices that seem clear and exact when you read them.